Have you wondered whether it’s possible to find gratifying work in a fast-paced startup that is also mission focused?
Join EarlyBird Education where we are leveraging cutting-edge brain science, artificial intelligence and gamification to prevent reading disabilities. Children play a game and we can identify whether they are at risk for reading difficulties, like dyslexia – even before they learn to read – and in the window when intervention rewires the brain for reading success. With a mission to scale this to all children nationwide, EarlyBird is already in use in schools across the country with thousands of children. Join this fast growing, venture-funded team as we provide essential data, tools and resources to support educators, parents and pediatricians to change the learning trajectory of children nationwide.
As a Software Engineer, and critical early employee of this startup company, you will play a major role in building and scaling this next-generation education technology. We’ll look to you to do what you do best; to bring fresh ideas to the table that can make our products, our work and our team better. This is your opportunity to play a key role in a company that is transforming the way young children learn.
- Backend: Node, Express, Sequelize
- Frontend: React / Progressive Web Apps / Apache Cordova
- Database: MySQL
- Infrastructure: AWS, Elastic Container Service, S3 / Cloudfront, Cognito, Terraform Role and Responsibilities This engineering role is primarily responsible for building and maintaining technology, providing day to day support through researching, working with Customer Success to troubleshoot bugs, helping define standards for development, and helping shape technology and security decisions. This engineer will help set and manage daily/weekly/sprint goals as well as communicating development status, risks and mitigation to the engineering team. Finally, this role acts as a resource for the team, performing code review, writing documentation, maintaining records of issues, and suggesting improvements to existing processes and communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interface with the Customer Success teams to help diagnose and troubleshoot bugs, performance issues, or other software or possibly hardware problems.
- Design, develop, and test code in all areas of the EarlyBird application.
- Assume responsibility for communicating development status, risks, and mitigation plans to leadership.
- Manage importing new client data into our systems. The successful candidate must have experience with
- Node.js / express API development
- Version control, software development lifecycle (Git, GitLab and Agile Scrum preferred)
- Creating overall solution design and architecture
- Cloud computing (AWS preferred) The ideal candidate would possess:
- Experience with React and React hooks
- Experience with AWS
- Experience building cross platform apps
- Experience building APIs
- Experience at an education technology startup Bonus points for
- Experience or desire to learn and use Go / Golang
- Experience with native iOS (swift, objective-c) We are looking for someone who
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Is attracted to the challenge of building elegant solutions using modern technologies and test driven development
- Is always looking for ways to improve the current process
- Works well with others – you thrive while sharing knowledge and receiving input
- Shares our passion to improve the lives of children around the globe
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Excellent health and dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work hours
- Paid parental leave
- Work remotely, with regular company gatherings
- Home office setup – laptop + office setup stipend
- Work with a smart, fun, caring, collaborative team
- Critical early member of a startup team